Congressional Republican leadership is considering policies that would cut funding for Medicaid as part of the debt ceiling negotiation. Emerging proposals could include Medicaid work requirements, block grants, or per capita caps, which would limit federal funding and make it harder for people to access health care programs and services.
This updated series explores the unique ways that the Medicaid program meets the health care needs of low-income individuals and communities. The series also examines how cuts to the program would impact the services and access to care that millions of people need.
The first paper in the series provides an overview of Medicaid, while subsequent papers cover affordability, services, access, and due process protections.
- What Makes Medicaid, Medicaid?
- What Makes Medicaid, Medicaid? – Affordability
- What Makes Medicaid, Medicaid? – Services
- What Makes Medicaid, Medicaid? – Access
- What Makes Medicaid, Medicaid? – Consumer Protections and Due Process
And for high-level overviews of these topics, check out our Highlights factsheets.