Q&A HCBS – Transition Plan Advocacy: Identifying the Issues
This Q&A resource developed and written by NHeLP is for advocates working on, or considering, comments on State transition plans for Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) programs.
This document will help advocates:
- Identify changes needed in existing HCBS programs and the information within an organization that can be used to comment on transition plans for these programs;
- Understand the transition plan process and the connection to Olmstead advocacy;
- Develop inquiries by using the expertly crafted sample questions to ask when looking at a current HCBS program;
- Find compelling examples to demonstrate how current policies may not conform to the new standards in practice; and
- Identify the issue areas that may yield illustrations of current problems (e.g., services, housing or employment) as well as potential roadblocks that need to be addressed to ensure successful transition to more integrated services.