The National Health Law Program (NHeLP) protects and advances the health rights of low-income and underserved individuals. NHeLP engages in national, state, and local advocacy efforts, including analyses of federal and state laws, policy advocacy, litigation, continuing legal education, and individual technical support. We work with lawyers and advocates, community-based entities, federal and state policymakers, health care providers, and clients.
NHeLP is committed to health equity—ensuring that everyone has access to the resources they need to be healthy—and to cultivating an internal environment that empowers an exceptional and diverse staff. For more information, see our Equity Stance. NHeLP particularly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and others whose backgrounds may contribute to the effective representation of low-income people and underserved communities.
NHeLP’s Operations Team provides essential support to those implementing NHeLP’s mission, vision, and equity stance. The Operations Team is responsible for managing the organization’s day-to-day business operations, including financial and budgeting management, legal compliance, risk management, technology, office administration, and logistics for offices in Los Angeles, CA, Washington, DC, and Chapel Hill, NC. In addition to the duties described below, the Operations Coordinator will be invited and encouraged to participate in other departmental and organizational opportunities and initiatives, such as our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion affinity groups, committees, and task forces. That work would be considered part of and not in addition to the person’s job responsibilities.
NHeLP is looking for a driven and highly motivated CA Office & Operations Coordinator to perform a range of high-level operations and administrative responsibilities supporting the Administration Manager and the Los Angeles, CA team. This position will support critical aspects of NHeLP’s human resources, project management, organizational operations, and administration. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced, sometimes under-pressure environment, to be flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. The position requires strong organizational and time management skills essential for managing numerous projects and deliverables and prioritizing tasks. Further, the position requires initiative, inquiry, and sound decision-making while working with the Administration Manager, the CA team, and other stakeholders.
- Support the Administration Manager with accounts payables system (prepare invoices, review, code, ensure proper allocation of expenses) and communicating with third-party vendors
- Manage various tasks associated with ADP, NHeLP’s payroll system, such as
- Monitor payroll changes
- Call ADP support to problem-solve issues as needed
- Make needed updates to the ADP Homepage
- Send out timesheet reminders and answer questions about timesheets
- Support Administration Manager in verifying payroll reports and ensuring consistency with offer letters, salary increases, and payroll updates
- Updating and confirming payroll changes are correct (comparing ADP)
- Process invoices and credit cards
- Complete credit card reconciliations in coordination with Office Coordinators
- Research transactions and reconcile statements
- Confirm all backup documentation
- Monitor contracts
- Confirm that contracts are aligned with NHeLP’s contract template structure (time, cost, the scope of work, etc.)
- Confirm that contracts are appropriately written using a checklist
- Send out contracts and offer letters through DocuSign
- Collaborate with Administration Manager and Operations Manager in updating office templates and policy documents such as NHeLP’s travel reimbursement forms and professional development policy, among others
- State compliance
- Support the Administration Manager in conducting needed research and follow-up to ensure compliance with state and federal issues presented by remote work
CA Office Support (50%)
- Admin Support
- Handle scheduling, phone calls, general emails, CA staff meeting arrangements and agenda, electronic filing, and preparing documents
- Support staff with coordination of travel as needed
- Handle credit card purchases and reimbursements
- Assemble materials for meetings, ensuring relevant attendees receive materials in advance
- Manage purchases for office supplies
- Respond to other administrative duties as assigned
- Hiring and recruitment
- Support the California office Hiring Managers during the recruitment, hiring, and on-boarding process of California staff
- Manage the on-boarding and off-boarding of interns and manage the completion of the intern process checklist
- Associate’s degree or four years of equivalent related experience in Business, Human Resources, or Finance, including Administrative support functions. Bachelor’s degree preferred
MUST-HAVE SKILLS & EXPERIENCES
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Desire to research and seek opportunities to improve systems and procedures
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Project Management (Asana), or related software
- A demonstrated interest in expanding one’s knowledge about the role that racial and other inequities play in our society and a desire to build and/or deepen one’s commitment to equity work
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS & EXPERIENCES
- Previous experience with health care rights/public interest organizations
The compensation range for this position is between $50,000 and $55,000 annually, depending on years of experience. Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience, and aligned with internal equity. Candidates, either newly hired or new to the role, can typically expect a salary between the minimum and maximum range depending on qualifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role.
The National Health Law Program offers a generous benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, pre-tax savings plans, transportation benefits in DC and CA, and a retirement savings opportunity (up to 3% employer matching after one year of employment). The National Health Law Program also offers generous paid time off, including holidays, sick time, parental leave, 150 hours (20 days) of vacation per year, and more.
The position is hybrid (office/remote) with the expectation for the CA Office and Operations Coordinator to be physically present in the office on an as-needed basis.
As of November 18, 2021 – “All NHeLP offices moved to fully remote work, subject to job requirements, team-based determination of meeting needs and the expectation that all NHeLP staff will gather in person at least once and likely twice a year.”
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and a list of three professional references in a single PDF document to [email protected]. The email’s subject should describe the position the applicant is seeking, i.e., “Operations Coordinator.” Please add your name to the application attachment you send—for example, JaneSanchezApplication.PDF.
No phone calls, please, except for reasonable accommodation requests. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at: [email protected].
October 17, 2022
NHeLP advocates to advance the health rights of many populations that have traditionally lacked legal protection, such as BIPOC communities, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with limited English proficiency. NHeLP is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued to promote social justice and best achieve our mission.
For more information, please visit www.healthlaw.org.